Friday, March 2, 2007

Vlad the ivory tickler

I was hoping to find some video footage of Rachmaninoff but no such luck. I did come across this piece of Rachmaninoff's countryman playing a little Mozart. The great players are so simple in their movement and Horowitz's technique reminds me of Mozart's compositional technique: intricate but playful. Great quality video, I believe this is from 'Horowitz in Moscow', the video that captured his return to Russia in the mid 80's.

Vladimir Horowitz -- Mozart's Sonata in C Major, K.330

No audio, poor video, virtually impossible to tell that this is actually Vladdy Daddy, but I'll take the poster's word for it. Nice to see that the 'crappy amateur home video' movement is actually older than my grandmother!

BONUS! -- Vintage Vladimir Horowitz home movie

No comments: