Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Euro 2008 update

Starts this weekend and once it starts its quite an avalanche of matches. 2 matches a day from Jun 7-18. Then one a day til Jun 22. Then they mellow out into the semi-finals. Damn, that's a lot of action coming up.

ESPN/ABC is gonna have every single game. Nice. ESPN spends a lot of time bagging on soccer but no sports broadcaster has ever come close to being as good for soccer as ESPN has been. Soccer will never be as popular as the NFL, yeah, I get it. But it still has plenty of room to expand as a sport for suburban youths and advertisers.

Time to make your picks. Here's mine:

Group A
Portugal
Switzerland
Turkey
Czech Republic

Group B
Germany
Croatia
Poland
Austria

Group C
Italy
France
Netherlands
Romania

Group D
Spain
Greece
Sweden
Russia

Quarters
Portugal over Croatia
Germany over Switzerland
Italy over Greece
Spain over France

Semis
Portugal over Germany (match of the tourney)
Italy over Spain

Final
Portugal over Italy

If Cristian Ronaldo still has his Champions League form, Portugal will be the team to beat. When I sat down I figured I'd end up with Germany winning and they should be solid and ready to kick some ass after (what I thought was) a mediocre 3rd place in World Cup 2006. But I believe I will stick with team Ronaldo to edge past the Germans.

On the other side I always find myself rooting for the eastern Euros over the typical dominators like Italy, Spain and France. I've been waiting for years now for Russia to reclaim the dominance of the Soviets back in 60's when they were a routine fixture in the finals. Maybe this year's the year that Russia finally puts together a dominating attack and makes a run at the whole thing. Doubt it.

No comments: