Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Euro 2008 quarterfinals

Damn, Portugal-Germany in the quarters?!?! I thought this would be the finest match of the tournament and perhaps it will. But it's so far from the final. Portugal has looked confident and strong, easily handling Turkey and Czech (and rolling over for host Switzerland). Germany is solid as always but don't look like a classic German squad, they're offensively stagnant and open to getting stung by the likes of Croatia. I'll take Portugal 2-1.

Croatia shocked the Germans and ended up on top of Group B. Turkey couldn't best Portugal but have showed some firepower up front. Croatia's ability to get serious action going in Turkey's box will make the difference, but I can see Turkey counterattacking to good effect. I like Turkey 1-0.

The Netherlands are the team to beat at this point. They're playing classic Dutch football: solid ball control that leads to deadly shots on goal. ('Total Football' sounds like one of those vague faddish business strategies, doesn't it? Does anyone play 'Just in Time Football'?) I underestimated the Dutch but, man, they look fuckin' good! Russia, on the other hand, has been one of my least favorite teams so far. The defenders show little confidence in their midfield and kick the ball around aimlessly in the back. If the Russians don't push forward, they will get burned early and often. I'll take the Netherlands 3-1.

Spain has looked pretty good, I usually find them disappointing. They always have so much talent but invariably come up short. Italy ran into a Dutch buzzsaw but dueled France to a victory and handled their business against Romania. This is the toughest call. I'll go with Spain to keep it going against an Italian side that's won plenty already. Spain 2-1.

No comments: