Friday, February 23, 2007

When pop stars attack!

Here is some stunningly unconvincing video that Britney Spears attacked paparazzi with an umbrella. I saw no umbrella, I'm not even sure I saw Britney Spears. As for the damage she inflicted, buddy, if I was your insurance adjuster I'd need more proof than what you offer. All I saw was a bunch of jackals endlessly flashing at her--no wonder she was pissed!

Britney is spiraling down the same (You) tube that claimed Anna Nicole not long ago and that's sad. We as a society are absolutely complicit in that death: we watched her pop pills and get fatter and dumber for our amusement--we encouraged her to drive herself ever closer to the edge! Now she's dead and we complain about having to change the channel. I never thought nothing of Anna Nicole or Britney, but culture is getting brutal, its got a taste for bloody tragedy and it’s a little sickening watching a human life deteriorate this way. (A bit like watching a Yankee fan treat Alex Rodriguez like a chew toy. Yankee fans will gladly sacrifice a World Series to crush a human soul and ARod, buddy, they're saving space on You Tube for your inevitable meltdown)

It reminds me Satyijat Ray's 'Devi', the story of a young girl claimed to be the reincarnation of a goddess by a random traveling holy man. At first the girl enjoys all the adulation but soon enough she begins to realize that her existence is entirely out of her own hands. I think Britney may be getting what she wished for and somehow we are all lesser people for it.

No comments: