Monday, February 12, 2007

I thought the Dixie Chicks were gonna shut up at some point?

I kinda came close to actually thinking about paying attention to the Grammys this year. But I didn't. Oh well. Award shows invariably suck. I follow them only because they're annual, they can be fun to predict and they form the backbone of the cultural history of the era. It's imperfect to be sure but occasionally they get it right. And by 'get it right' I don't mean that they successfully transmit my views onto history so much as they correctly gather what people are tuning in on and what will actually endure. (For example, the year 'Titanic' won Best Picture: not my favorite movie but any triptych through film of the late 1990's would have to revolve around 'Titanic', no?) So do the Dixie Chicks and Mary J. Blige and John Mayer rate as the great stuff of our time or just the shit that was most popular in February?

Here's a list of Grammy winners. The Klezmatics win Best World Music? Nice to see that the classical categories could boast Michael Tilson Thomas and John Williams and Maurizio Pollini--big obnoxious egos that can roll with Ludacris's bitchez any day of the week.

No comments: