Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Ever see The Da Vinci Code?

I read the book in an airport, which is where it deserves to be read. (I didn't see the movie because, well, I don't go to airports to see movies) At any rate, the twisty-turny plot of The Da Vinci Code recahes its conclusion in a venerable chapel in Scotland where they've also discovered wacky carvings on the walls. What do these carvings mean? According to a Slashdot article, it is a piece of music that has only recently been decoded and performed. The code revolves around Chladni patterns (wasn't that an HP Lovecraft story?). It’s a haunting motet, but I must say it is quite brief and I'm not sure why one would encode it into scratchings on a church wall. And I don't understand anything that is visually going on in this video but check it out. Maybe it'll make sense to you.

Tallis Chamber Choir -- 'The Rosslyn Motet'

No comments: