Friday, May 4, 2007

Competition get blown

This album back in the day was the shiz-nit. The world treated the newly emergent collection of kooky personalities and styles like Jonas Salk bringing forth a cure for polio when frankly I found it to be just another slightly above-average hip hop record. The legend of Wu-Tang kept rising and I never quite understood why everyone thought they were so new or different. I dig them, I just don't see them as re-inventing anything. I always felt similarly about the Sex Pistols: everybody treats them as these legendary innovators when their stuff strikes me as ponderous and derivative. I don't dislike the Wu Tang--I like them!--I just don't think they're the S on Superman's chest or anything. Here's a home made video with a collection of old timey kung-fu flicks. Good stuff.

Wu Tang Clan -- 'Bring Da Ruckus'

No comments: