Monday, May 26, 2008

Red Wings 4-0 Penguins (game 1)

My initial prediction was Red Wings in 6. I thought the Pens had a decent shot at stealing a game in Detroit, particularly game 1, but then the Red Wings would put the clamp down and squeeze the Pens out. Didn't start off that way.

Saturday night the Wings came out sharp and looked good on both sides of the ice. The D was tight and allowed the Pens attack little margin for error; the offense was disciplined and made the most of their advantages ('tight but aggressive' as my old poker coach used to cryptically say). The Penguins looked a little overwhelmed, not so much nervous as taken aback by the Red Wings intensity.

The Wings certainly looked capable of winning 4 straight but in hockey momentum swings very quickly, the Penguins are by no means out of it. I can still see the Pens bouncing back Monday night and taking a game in Detroit.

Game 2 just started and I'll stick with the Pens to sneak a win in the Joe.

No comments: