Monday, July 2, 2007

Just my rifle, pony and me

I've got an obsession with musical sequences in films that aren't otherwise musicals. (And I couldn't find any YouTube footage of Dean doing 'You Belong to Me', so this'll do for today) Ricky Nelson had one of those great 'American Lives': imagine spending your teenage years playing yourself on TV as a character written by your own parents. Only in America could that life even be possible and Ricky Nelson lived it. Hey, it got him into Rio Bravo, so not all bad.

Dean Martin & Ricy Nelson -- 'Whippoorwill' (from Rio Bravo)

BONUS -- Dean Martin with Foster Brooks -- 'Are you sure you're not a pilot?'
Foster Brooks was one of my favorite comics when I was a kid and he's in top form here as the pilot who needs to steady his nerves. (The sketch is 4 minutes long followed by 2 minutes of the most bizarre homemade commercial I believe I've ever seen!)

1 comment:

Ed - The Music Man said...

Have you seen the one where Foster Brooks acts as a drunk and roasts Don Rickles with Dean Martin just sitting next to him. Best impression of Dean I have ever seen! Subtle of course. It's on my blog if you haven't seen the clip!