Friday, June 25, 2010

World Cup Predictions (updated)

All right, group round finished, how were my predictions?

Group
A Uruguay, Mexico
B Argentina, Greece
C England, USA
D Germany, Serbia
E Netherlands, Denmark
F Paraguay, Slovakia
G Brazil, Portugal
H Chile, Spain

Well, honestly, I did pretty good. Of my 16 picks only 3 failed to move on. In groups C & H, I picked the top two teams in the wrong order, but that don't really matter.

Frankly, I thought Greece was one of the worst teams I saw in the group stage, Serbia was seriously disappointing after coming in with some 'dark horse' hype, and Denmark was middle of the road Europe.

I underestimated Japan and South Korea, both of whom look like fine disciplined squads. And I'm still surprised by Ghana: of all the pre-tourney injuries that went around, I thought Michael Essian was the biggest loss, the one most likely to have a star-making Cup, so that Ghana managed to soldier on without him is impressive.

To recap my second round predictions:
Round of 16
49 Uruguay
50 Serbia
51 Germany
52 Argentina
53 Netherlands
54 Brazil
55 Paraguay
56 Chile

Lets tweak those a bit:
49 Uruguay
50 USA
51 England
52 Argentina
53 Netherlands
54 Brazil
55 Paraguay
56 Portugal

Not a lot of changes, really, though I will take USA and England to move on past their respective opponents and meet again in the Quarters. (God! I hope so! That would fuckin' rule!)

No comments: