Monday, September 29, 2008

NCAA Football

My pre-season prediction for the BCS Championship was Florida over USC. Uh, that's out. Not impossible for USC to claw their way back in but I'd say Florida has too much competition in the SEC to climb out of this hole.

I watched most of Ole Miss's victory over Florida and I gotta say Florida's offensive line did not fare so well. I think I'm inclined to credit Mississippi's ferocious pass rush but Florida will be playing stiffer defenses than this so it’s a disheartening loss for Gator fans. And Southern Cal shows up for the big games but doesn't show up for the lowly squads they face along the way. They play down to their opponent instead of staying disciplined and playing the best they can week after week. It’s the classic over-confidence of those with too much talent.

One of my darkhorses to be there at the end of the year was Wisconsin. I thought if they could slip past the Buckeyes then they'd have a shot at going undefeated and make their case. But they couldn't hold a big lead to a shoddy Michigan team so they're pretty much done. (I was perhaps too impressed with their nice win at Fresno State) I was not surprised at Alabama's victory over Georgia, but I was surprised at just how dominating they were. I was never so impressed with Georgia, never understood the ballyhooing they received early on, but I didn't think Alabama was ready to deliver a beatdown on the road like that. Another game I watched a lot of was Auburn over Tennessee. Pretty boring match. Two stout defenses against two piddly offenses. Man, the Vols look fuckin' awful this year, that offense moves like a glacier. Surprised Phil Fulmer is still wearing orange.

SEC and Big 12 still have a lot of cannibalizing ahead of them, much too early to see the finish line from here.

No comments: