Monday, April 7, 2008

There must be a way I can dress to please him

I don't remember this video--truthfully I watch far more videos now than I ever did when they were popular--but I loved this record back in the day. Her drummer (name escapes me) was one of the great underrated rock drummers of the '90s and the overall sound is ferocious in its eagerness. PJ is the most devilish of women and this song captures it beautifully: trying to use femininity to transcend femininity. No matter how posed her snarl, everything she does drips of girly-ness!

But ah, even the girly-ness is a red herring here. Did you ever see Altman's film Ready to Wear? We all eagerly anticipated it back in the day and were bitterly disappointed. Only I went back and watched it a second time (by accident) and loved it. The key is to ignore the characters, focus on the clothes. The people are merely vehicles for the clothing. Here, too, PJ stands up and sits down and there's some grainy upskirt action but its not the woman. It’s the dress.

PJ Harvey -- 'Dress'

No comments: